What are the documents needed to submit on the contract day for UR-Apartment for people who has just arrived or worked in Japan for less than a year?
1. Income certificate (所得証明書 – "Shotoku Shomeisho")or Deputation Letter from your company or employer (ORIGINAL COPY)
※Should have annual income, contract duration, company signature.
※Individual Contract: At least 3 million yen annual income.
※Family Contract: At least 4 million yen annual income.

2. Resident proof (住民票 – "Juminhyo") from your ward office (original only)
※Your name and all of your family members' names and visa status has to be on it.(If your family is in Japan)
※Please check the application sample below for Shinagawa ward office
※Items need to be checked (IMPORTANT!!!)
- 世帯主・続柄 Head of household・Relationship
- 国籍・地域 Nationality・Region
- 中長期在留者・特別永住者等の区分 Status
- 在留カード等番号 Card number
- 在留資格・在留期間・在留期間満了日 Resident status・Period of stay・Date of expiration

3. Tax Certificate
For people who has just arrived or worked in Japan for less than a year.
Latest Tax certificate proving that the client was paying taxes in his country.
For example:
In case of India client has to produce Form 16
In Case of USA client has to produce W2
In case if the client was a student
Have to produce Degree certificate of the college he passed out from.

※Documents should be within 3 months from the date of issue.
Tax certificate is now required
In Japan, it is called “課税証明書 Kazeishomeisho” from local ward office. At this time of the year it only issues to people who worked in Japan in 2013.
If you only started working in Japan from 2014, you will need to provide a relevant one from the country you were in right before coming to Japan.
Strictly, full name, paid tax amount, paid year(should be the most recent year) need to be showing on the tax certificate.
※Graduation certificate can be used instead if your previous occupation was student right before starting work.
Are the utilities (gas, power and water) included in the rent?
No, utilities are not included in the rent. All utilities have different contract and connections should be done before moving-in.
How much do we need to pay on the contract day?
2 Months deposit + prorated rent of the month you move in.
What are the necessary information needed to reserve a vacant apartment?
In order to search and reserve a UR unit, we need the following information:
  • Complete Name
  • Current Address
  • Phone Number
  • Birthday
  • Name of Company
How soon can I move in to the apartment?
It requires at least 1 week to be able to move in after the contract has been made in person since lock changing needs to be done. Therefore, it is better to search for the desired apartment early.
※Company contract can take longer, it would be ideal to inquire with your HR.
When and where can I receive the key?
You can get the key only on the day or after your move-in date. You will have to bring the receipt given to you by the UR on the contract dateto get the key at the management office in the apartment.
What is the procedure for leaving process?
You will need to fill out the forms and give it back to them, they will then give you back the original copy for your reference.
Sample Forms are attached below.
  • Leaving date・退去日
  • New address・移転先
  • Deposit refund bank account number・敷金返金先口座番号(only in Japan)
  • Room check date・査定日(they will suggest some options and you can chose one of them)
  • Deposit transfer claim with registration number of new house 仮予約受付番号(引継ぎ住戸)
※Once you complete and submit the documents to the management office with your signature, you CANNOT change your leaving date. Please be careful in writing the forms.
※14 day leaving notice is required.
※Please collect the forms at your local management office where you firstly got the keys.
How much is the repair costs when moving out of the room?
It depends on the damages made during your stay. In average, an individual who lived for 5 years on the same apartment pays around 20,000 to 30,000 yen.
When do I need to notify the UR office when I want to vacate the room?
You need to give 14 days advance notice to the UR when you wish to terminate and vacate the apartment. You have to submit a "Dissolution of Rental Housing Contract Notification Form" to the Administration Service Office, at least 14 days before your date of departure.
Remote Controls / Buttons English Translation
Air-Conditioner Remote Control
  • 運転/停止 ⇒ Power button
  • 温度 ⇒ Temperature
  • 冷房 ⇒ Cool mode
  • 暖房 ⇒ Heater mode
  • ドライ ⇒ Dry mode (to prevent moisture)
  • 自動 ⇒ Automatic
  • 風量 ⇒ Air Volume
  • 風向 ⇒ Air Direction
  • 入 ⇒ On
  • 切 ⇒ Off
  • タイマー ⇒ Timer
Washing Machine Buttons
  • 入/切 ⇒ On / Off
  • スタート/一時停止 ⇒ Start/Pause
  • 洗う/洗い ⇒ Wash
  • すすぐ/すすぎ ⇒ Rinse
  • 脱水 ⇒ Drain
  • モード/コース ⇒ Mode/Course
  • 乾燥 ⇒ Dry
  • 洗剤 ⇒ Laundry detergent
  • 柔軟剤 ⇒ Fabric Softener
Meaning of Japanese Apartment Layout Abbreviation
"1K", "2DK", "3LDK"..etc are examples of how Japanese describe the floor-plans of apartments/houses.
The number indicates the number of rooms.
L = Living Room, D = Dining Room, K = Kitchen.
E.g. The layout on the left shows a typical 1LDK layout and on the right a typical 2DK layout.

Most LDK rooms has a bigger living room and kitchen is separated, while DK rooms have smaller area and kitchen is not separated.

Difference Between 1K and 1DK
As you can see for 1K or 1R(Room), there is only a little space for the kitchen since there is no Dining area. While 1DK room has a separated room and a wider area in the kitchen.
Are UR-Apartments safe from earthquakes?
Yes. All UR-Apartments are made of either reinforced concrete or steel reinforced concrete that makes them strong to endure earthquakes. The UR agency also has regular inspection of the apartments and they also conduct earthquake tests to these buildings.

Search UR-Apartments